Below you will find a variety of questions that we feel we get asked the most. If you cannot find the answer that you are looking for the plase call us on 01992 769696

What is ACS?

The Nationally Accredited Certification Scheme (ACS) is the industry recognised and accepted route for operatives to demonstrate and gain a competence qualification needed to become a member of the Gas Safe Register. It covers all areas of gas work including domestic, LPG, commercial heating, commercial catering, commercial laundry, meter installation, emergency service provider. The scheme is overseen by UKAS on behalf of the HSE and there are 7 certification bodies who certificate the assessments throughout the UK including Logic Certification.

Why do I need ACS?

Registration with Gas Safe Register is a legal requirement for anyone carrying out gas work in the United Kingdom, Isle of Man and Guernsey. To register, you must hold a recognised qualification for the areas of gas work that you intend to carry out.

If you have experience in the gas industry or related fields you may be able to follow the Nationally Accredited Certification Scheme (ACS) route to registration. This will allow you to gain certificates of competence that are accepted by Gas Safe Register.

If you have transferable skills and experience then you may be able to undertake a managed learning programme.

If you have no industry experience you may need to follow a more formal qualification: Scottish/National Vocational Qualification (S/NVQ) in Gas Installation and Maintenance at level 2 or 3.

What ACS elements do I need to undertake?

In each of the 7 areas of gas work mentioned in the first section there is a core gas safety element which must be undertaken and achieved before any of the individual appliance assessment can be undertaken.

Domestic Natural Gas Core Domestic Gas Safety – CCN1 (compulsory)

Then undertake the appliance assessment relevant to your work as listed below:-
Central Heating Boilers & Water Heaters – CENWAT

Cookers – CKR1
Gas Fires – HTR1
Combustion Performance Analysis – CPA1 (required for CENWAT and HTR1)
Meters – MET1
Warm Air Heaters – DAH1

How do I join Gas Safe Register?

Before applying to become registered by the Gas Safe Register you first must have achieved your ACS qualification in the areas of work in which you want to be registered. After these have been achieved you will receive your certificate of competence from the relevant certification body who will also have downloaded the details to Gas Safe Register. You will then be ready to apply to Gas Safe Register.

There will be a probationary period for businesses whose registration with CORGI lapsed some time ago or who are newly qualified. This will allow Gas Safe Register to monitor their approach to gas safety.

A business or engineer with good history and recent qualifications can register, but Gas Safe Register reserve the right to place them on a probationary period. Where Gas Safe Register have poor or no history on the business or engineer Gas Safe Register will apply the probationary period as a matter of course.

During the probationary period, the business must notify Gas Safe Register of all gas work they have carried out. Gas Safe Register will carry out inspections to make sure the work has been completed to the required standards.

Where do I find out more?

Go to the Gas Safe Register website, www.gassaferegister.co.uk, for more information.

Contact Details

MPower Training Solutions Group

Head Office
181 Brooker Rd
Waltham Abbey

MPower : Training Solutions Group Email:contact@mpowertraining.co.uk

MPower : Training Solutions Group Tel:+44(0) 1992 769 696

MPower : Training Solutions Group Map:View address google maps

Monthly Newsletter

Your email

Sign Up Now